Bird & Bird‘s patent team has wide-ranging expertise in contentious patent proceedings on the national and international stage, skilfully navigating the interface between IP and antitrust law, as well as in proceedings relating to standard-essential patents. Companies in the life sciences, technology and telecommunications sectors particularly often turn to the practice headed by Christian Harmsen, who is especially active in international technology patent disputes. The consumer goods and automotive industry represent other focuses for the team. Oliver Jan Jüngst primarily handles patent cases before all German courts and the European Patent Office, Matthias Meyer has experience in medical device patents, while Felix Rödiger assists with patent law issues in the pharmaceutical, automotive and software industries. Furthermore, Boris Kreye primarily coordinates international disputes relating to technology and pharmaceuticals, and Daniela Kinkeldey is a highly regarded contact for clients from the chemical and pharmaceutical industries. Sebastian Höpfner left the practice in June 2022 and joined ZSP Patentanwälte.
Patent litigation: solicitors in Germany
Bird & Bird
Fisher & Paykel
- Representing Edwards Lifesciences in several patent and utility model infringement proceedings against Meril GmbH and Meril India regarding heart valve prostheses and catheters.
- Representing Nokia in several patent infringement and nullity actions against OPPO and OnePlus.
- Representing Teva in numerous patent infringement cases and in a declaration of invalidity of supplementary protection certificates.
Hogan Lovells International LLPs multifaceted, globally integrated team advises on the full spectrum of litigious patent matters, including opposition and nullity proceedings and representation before arbitration panels, while its sector focus primarily encompasses technology and telecommunications, life sciences, consumer goods and automotive; in the latter segment, the practice is particularly involved in FRAND-related matters, which is not least due to its close cooperation with other practices such as antitrust and competition law. Furthermore, the practice, consisting of lawyers and patent attorneys, also assists with questions relating to patent portfolios and licensing and associated contract drafting. The practice is jointly led by a trio consisting of Burkhart Goebel (IP and regulatory interface), the head of the German IPMT practice Andreas Bothe (trade mark and competition law) and the head of the European practice Miriam Gundt (focus on technology); at the turn of the year 2022/23, Gundt also replaced Goebel as head of the global Intellectual Property, Media and Technology (IPMT) practice group. Other key contacts are Andreas von Falck (focus on pharmaceuticals, medical technology and high-tech sectors), Clemens Plassmann (focus on technology), patent lawyer and counsel Felipe Zilly (infringement and validity proceedings), Alexander Klicznik (mobile phone patents), who has dual qualifications as a patent lawyer and attorney-at-law, and Henrik Lehment, whose expertise in the automotive and mobile communications industry is in high demand, especially with regards to connected car issues. Steffen Steininger (telecommunications, life sciences and automotive industry) and FRAND expert Benjamin Schröer are key contacts at the Munich location. Anna-Katharina Friese-Okoro (patent litigation in the telecoms, pharmaceuticals, medical products and mechanical engineering sectors) made partner in January 2022.
‘Hogan Lovells’ IP team unerringly guides through complex legal matters and demonstrates business acumen. The unit acted quickly during a difficult IP litigation and worked efficiently with other lawyers across jurisdictions. They never lost sight of the goal and avoided unnecessary disputes.’
‘IP team with strong expertise, one of the strongest teams in Germany.’
‘Henrik Lehment: Intelligent and relaxed approach while being able to explain complex legal issues in layman’s language; with very good knowledge of English. Never hesitated and was always willing to look at the situation from the client’s economic point of view. He’s a real asset to the team.’
‘Andreas von Falck: An experienced litigator who impresses with his insight, acumen and intelligence.’
‘Miriam Gundt is a great partner, she provides pragmatic advice and reliability.’
- Defending OPPO in patent litigation against Nokia related to 14 patents before German courts. Representation in parallel proceedings against Nokia in the UK, France, Spain and Russia.
- Representing Ford against Japanese patent exploiter IP Bridge in a comprehensive patent dispute related to infringement and validity proceedings regarding mobile phone patents allegedly in connection with the 4G (LTE) standard.
- Representing Xiaomi in a dispute with SEL (Semiconductor Energy Laboratory) pertaining to a total of six intellectual property rights in infringement proceedings and parallel proceedings regarding OLED technology in smartphone displays.
As part of their patent law advice, HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER‘s IP specialists particularly focus on the electronics and telecommunications, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, automotive and optics sectors, but are also instructed by mechanical, electronics and chemical companies; the practice especially impresses with its expertise in representing clients before all European courts and authorities as well as in arbitration proceedings. International capacities are also demonstrated with reference to the US, where the team assists with an increasing number of parallel proceedings. The team is headed by Martin Köhler, who specializes in patent infringement proceedings and, in addition to contentious aspects, also advises on license agreements and employee invention law. Klaus Haft, who is dual-qualified as a lawyer and graduate physicist and also advises on the protection of trade secrets, has a similar focus, while Christine Kanz, who is experienced in the life sciences, often acts in cross-border matters. Ivan Dimitrov (sector focus life sciences, consumer electronics and consumer goods) made partner in January 2022 while Carina Höfer (telecommunications and information technology as well as semiconductor technology) was appointed counsel at the same time. Tobias Hessel, Stefan Richter and Thomas Misgaiski, three experienced wireless patent practitioners, joined Clifford Chance‘s patent practice in late 2022.
‘The cooperation with the German team is excellent, very experienced and very responsive. Good cooperation with our in-house team.’
Bübch Dr. Kurt Wolff/ Dr. August Wolff en GmbH
Heckler & Koch
Philip Morris International
Telekom Deutschland GmbH
- Defending Huawei in a patent portfolio dispute in connection with Godo Kaisha IP Bridge before the regional courts of Hamburg, Mannheim and Munich and supporting Daimler in a parallel proceeding.
- Representing Heckler & Koch in patent infringement proceedings for the protection of a rifle locking system.
- Defending and representing Apple in patent infringement proceedings against Ericsson regarding 5G patents at various German court venues and in the Netherlands.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Embedded in the strong litigation practice of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP, the patent team primarily acts in contentious matters in the chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, with the team placing a further focus on contentious technology patents and, more recently, on mobile phone patents. Headed by the Munich-based Marcus Grosch, who is experienced in the technology and life sciences sectors, the group acts before all German courts in infringement, nullity and opposition proceedings and is also well equipped for cross-border matters in cooperation with other international offices, such as increasingly with its North American teams. Other key lawyers include FRAND experts Johannes Bukow and Jérôme Kommer (IT, telecommunications and automotive) and technology specialist Jesko Preuß. The practice's counsel level was further broadened with the appointments of Johannes Druschel (tchnology), Andreas Hahne (SEP/FRAND), Andreas Duensing (technology), Jan Axtmann (automotive technology), Andreas Staudigel (telecom, IT and automotive) and Marlen Yan (telecommunications, automotive and biotechnology).
‘The law firm is very competent, agile and responsive.’
‘Marcus Grosch gives clear assessments of what a client would like.’
Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1
Voxer IP LLC
- Represented Dexcom in Germany in a number of infringement and nullity actions against Abbott on both the plaintiff and defendant side.
- Representing MediaTek in Germany in several patent infringement and validity proceedings.
- Representing Google in offensive and defensive patent infringement and validity proceedings against Sonos in a global dispute.
The team at IP boutique Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB impresses with its technology and pharmaceuticals industry knowledge, while the practice demonstrates particularly strong experience in the connected cars sphere. The patent practice is managed by a trio of highly regarded litigators: Bernhard Arnold (focus on technology), Cordula Schumacher (focus on the pharmaceutical sector) and Arno Riss, who specialises in national and international patent disputes in the high-tech sector among other matters. FRAND expert Marina Wehler briefly joined the team at Meissner Bolte Patentanwälte Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB, but returned in December 2022 and joined again as counsel. Senior associate Tim Smentkowski is well versed in patent and trade mark law.
‘The team is made up of absolute stars. The office is one of the best.’
‘Technically, you delve very deeply into the cases, which means that a very fruitful discussion can develop with the team and the patent lawyers. Legally outstanding.’
‘High expertise in the field of IP enforcement in Germany and Europe-wide; sometimes pursue very creative ideas as to how the client’s interests can be protected as much as possible without taking unnecessary risks. Very good mix of experienced and young, ambitious colleagues. Outstanding activity coordination.’
‘Many years of very good cooperation with the law firm in patent disputes, including the coordination of cross-jurisdictional projects. Very professional appearance, extensive patent and process know-how and the ability to accompany and manage large complex projects, indeed a highly recommended team.’
‘Bernhard Arnold: A brilliant mind, very smart, talented and very adept at leading multi-jurisdictional teams. He has an impressive client portfolio, particularly in the life sciences sector.’
‘Cordula Schumacher: A leader in her field, her clients adore her.’
‘Arno Riss: Extremely committed and pleasant to work with.’
‘Cordula Schumacher and Bernhard Arnold: Excellent litigators who can plead and reply astutely in oral proceedings, but never lose sight of the overall strategy. Super responsive and solution-oriented in the interests of the client.’
Alcon Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Kingfa Sci. & Tech Co. Ltd
VARTA Microbattery GmbH
InterDigital Technology Corporation
AutoStore System GmbH/AutoStore AS
- Representing Nokia in connected car related litigation, including the enforcement of ten standard essential patents, a parallel litigation with the EU Commission and US litigation.
- Representing Sanofi/Regeneron in infringement proceedings regarding Praluent, a cholesterol-lowering drug; Follow-up proceedings regarding enforcement damages after the patent has been revoked.
- Representation of Sisvel in a leading FRAND case after the ECJ Huawei/ZTE.
Bardehle Pagenberg assists with contentious patent matters from Munich and Düsseldorf and cooperates with its offices in Paris and Barcelona if necessary, but also draws on various networks for cross-jurisdictional issues. The practice operates with an industry focus on electronics, software, automotive, telecommunications and pharmaceuticals, and recently saw a strong increase in instructions in the last three sectors in particular. This was also reflected in team expansions at equity partner level: Tobias Wuttke (mobile telecommunications) joined from Meissner Bolte Patentanwälte Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB in January 2023, while Volkmar Henke (patent infringement cases and license agreements) and Tilman Müller (patent infringement proceedings and parallel nullity proceedings), both previously at Eisenführ Speiser, have been acting from the newly opened Hamburg office since the beginning of 2023; all three are particularly well versed in mobile phone patent matters. Internally, Jan Bösing also made partner and focuses on patents related to automotive and telecommunications among others. In addition to contentious issues, the team also advises on settlement and license negotiations, including associated contract drafting, as well as on R&D agreements, FRAND and SEP, whereby clients benefit from the cooperation with the firm's antitrust practice. Johannes Heselberger and Tilman Müller-Stoy, who are experienced in the telecommunications, automotive and medical device sectors, lead the team; former co-head Peter Chrocziel (technology, automotive and pharmaceuticals) left to found VINDELICI LEGAL in March 2022.
‘The team is extremely competent, advises very pragmatically and customer-oriented and always with the overall goal in mind.’
‘The lawyers provide clear, concise and actionable advice while keeping the commercial perspective in mind. The result for the client is optimized and not the hourly rate.’
‘The team is absolutely outstanding. They are very perceptive on applicable law, lightning fast in understanding our complex technologies and communicate risks and opportunities in a pragmatic way.’
‘Tilman Müller-Stoy: Incredibly strong negotiator in court and an experienced manager of litigation teams in difficult disputes’
‘Jan Bösing: A very clever and persistent lawyer.’
‘Johannes Heselberger: Very pleasant to work with and provides clear and concise legal advice with the client’s economic outlook in mind.’
‘Tilman Müller-Stoy: top litigator, top strategist.’
Cisco Systems Inc.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc.
Henniges Automotive Sealing Systems
Sana Biotechnology Inc
Scoot & Ride Holding GmbH
Schöck Bauteile GmbH
Guangdong Oppo Mobile Telecommunications Corp., Ltd
10x Genomics Inc.
- Representing Amgen as plaintiff and defendant against Sanofi & Regeneron before Munich and Düsseldorf courts in the pharmaceutical area.
- Representing Guangdong Oppo Mobile Telecommunications Corp., Ltd as a plaintiff in a number of infringement cases against Nokia in the area of 4G and 5G systems. Representing Oppo in opposition proceedings against Nokia in the field of 4G and 5G systems. Representing Oppo in opposition proceedings against Huawei and 3G Licensing.
- Representing BMW as plaintiff against London Optical Car Systems Ltd. in nullity proceedings before the Federal Patent Court regarding a device for optical traffic surveillance in a motor vehicle.
Kather Augenstein Rechtsanwälte
The team at Kather Augenstein Rechtsanwälte in Düsseldorf is one of the most sizeable IP boutiques in Germany, while their broad patent advisory portfolio is reflected in individual focal points of its key team members: litigator Christof Augenstein predominantly advises in the electronics, telecommunications, medicine and automotive sectors, while Peter Kather has a strong focus on cross-border proceedings. Miriam Kiefer, who is experienced in medical technology, heads the team, which also includes Christopher Weber (software, electronics, pharmaceuticals, chemistry, mechanics and plastics processing) and Sören Dahm, who is well versed in technology-related and often cross-border issues. Benjamin Pesch (computer-implemented inventions) made counsel in July 2022.
‘Highly qualified team that handles cases quietly, competently and focused in a very pleasant way.’
‘Very powerful and efficient team, both for smaller and larger cases.’
‘Miriam Kiefer: Trusting, very pleasant, close and very well coordinated cooperation in a number of infringement cases, expert opinions and SPC procedures.’
RHEFOR (Deutschland) GmbH
Centripetal Networks Inc.
- Representing Ericsson in a global dispute with Apple regarding the conclusion of a license agreement – including for standard-essential patents.
- Representing Centripetal Networks Inc. in multinational patent infringement proceedings in the field of network components against Cisco, Palo Alto Networks and Keysight.
- Representation of RHEFOR against Hilti in a series of vindication proceedings regarding a new drive technology for battery-powered nail setting tools.
Rospatt Osten Pross
Renowned IP boutique Rospatt Osten Pross advises players from the life sciences, telecommunications, automotive and electronics sectors from its offices in Düsseldorf and Mannheim. Max von Rospatt is often involved in cross-border life sciences and technology litigation, while Henrik Timmann handles nullity proceedings before all German civil courts, including the Federal Patent Court and the Federal Court of Justice; Thomas Musmann counts medium-sized companies from the mechanical engineering and medical technology sectors among his clients; Hetti Hilge's main areas of expertise are infringement proceedings before German patent litigation chambers and in connection with SEP license agreements; and another key contact is Rüdiger Pansch, who is experienced in patent vindication proceedings and damages claims. Tech expert André Sabellek made partner in January 2022, while Bernward Zollner retired in December 2021.
‘Extremely experienced team doing an excellent job. Excellent professional competence paired with a very pleasant personal contact.’
‘Powerful, fantastic reputation in the market, partners are interested in IP disputes, know each case perfectly and take care of it.’
‘The team offers an exceptional performance. We have worked with some of the lawyers many times and despite their small size compared to the big firms, the unit offers incredible quality and they are always on time.’
AMO (Johnson & Johnson)
Dr. Falk Pharma
ETEX (vormals Promat)
Flint / Xeikon / XSYS
Johnson & Johnson (einschließlich Janssen Pharmaceuticals)
Rhodia Chimie (Solvay)
Schlüter Systems KG
- Advised Biogen on generic market entry for Fampyra.
- Representing AMO against the main competitor Alcon regarding a large number of patents relating to eye surgery laser systems.
- Advising Osram on enforcing a private right of prior use with regard to vehicle LED headlights.
Taylor Wessing's globally integrated patent practice serves companies across a wide range of industries, but is particularly frequently consulted by clients in the technology and life sciences sectors; in an international context, the group frequently cooperates with teams in Europe, Asia and the US, for example in the context of representing Chinese, South Korean, Taiwanese and US clients in European patent disputes. Gisbert Hohagen, who is also well versed in employee invention law, took over the practice management in 2022 from Christian Lederer, who often acts for Japanese clients, while Nora Wessendorf (automotive and mechanical engineering, telecommunications, electronics, medical technology, life sciences) and Michael Schächinger (life sciences and TMT ) made salary partners in January 2022 and Jan Phillip Rektorschek (IT/electronics, life sciences and mechanics) was promoted to the equity partnership in May 2022. Anja Lunze (life sciences and healthcare) and Roland Küppers (telecommunications, electronics and semiconductor technology) are other key contacts.
Dietrich Kamlah; Roland Küppers; Sabine Rojahn; Jan Phillip Rektorschek; Anja Lunze; Christoph de Coster; Philipp Krusemarck; Christian Lederer; Nora Wessendorf; Michael Schächinger; Jan Phillip Rektorschek
‘The team works excellently together as a team, always in the interests of the client. It is very balanced in terms of diversity. The team is very effective and extremely successful.’
‘The team is very powerful and committed in the field of pharmaceutical litigation, always open to discussions, always up-to-date with the latest case law and overall very pleasant to work with.
‘Very clearly structured way of working; very professional appearance.’
Allison GmbH (Wonderland Group)
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Inc.
Huber + Suhner AG
Hymmen GmbH Maschinen- und Anlagenbau
PRIMAVERA LIFE GMBH
TCT Mobile Germany and TCT Mobile Europe SAS
- Defending Abbott GmbH and ADC Inc. against claims brought by Dexcom Inc. based on four different patents in Mannheim, including four parallel opposition proceedings before the EPO. Furthermore, representing Abbott GmbH and ADC Inc. in claims against Dexcom in Mannheim and Düsseldorf based on six different patents, including participation in six parallel nullity proceedings before the BPatG and opposition proceedings before the EPO.
- Representation of Allison GmbH (Wonderland Group) in currently 13 ongoing infringement proceedings (patents and utility models) against CYBEX on the side of plaintiff and defendant in all instances before the courts in Munich, Düsseldorf, Mannheim/Karlsruhe and Hamburg as well as in parallel validity proceedings before the EPO, Federal Patent Court and DPMA. Representation in various other contentious proceedings before infringement courts and in validity matters against other competitors.
- Representing Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft in seven patent infringement proceedings against manufacturers of inverters in the field of solar technology (solar inverters/semiconductor topology).
Allen & Overy LLP's team increasingly acts in infringement and nullity proceedings for national and international companies, whose support is regularly coordinated with offices in the UK, France, the Netherlands, Belgium and Poland. Stephan Neuhaus' focus on life sciences and the chemical industry fits seamlessly into the practice's overall orientation, as does that of practice head and automotive expert Jan Ebersohl, who specializes in patent litigation in the IT, telecommunications, electronics and semiconductor industries. In addition, aenior associate Denise Benz frequently handles SEP disputes and, together with Ebersohl, is one of the key contacts for FRAND issues at the antitrust interface. In the early summer of 2022, former co-practice group head Joachim Feldges left the firm to take on individual pharmaceutical clients in the future, while Antje Brambrink (technology, pharma and biotech) joined Finnegan in the summer of 2022.
Meta / Facebook
Samsung Electronics und Samsung Display
Elanco / Bayer Animal Health
MSD Merck Sharpe and Dohme
F. Hoffmann La Roche
- Representing Meta / Facebook in patent infringement and nullity proceedings regarding Facebook and Instagram apps.
- Representing Samsung Electronics in several patent infringement proceedings related to wireless communication and charging technology.
- Representing MGI in a large cross-border, multi-patent patent dispute against Illumina concerning DNA sequencers and corresponding nucleotide mixtures.
DLA Piper has extensive experience in patent litigation and represents clients in both infringement and corresponding nullity proceedings. The sector focus of the practice is primarily twofold and is aimed on the one hand at technology-related patents (including electronics, telecommunications and automotive) and on the other hand at the life sciences area (which includes pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, drugs and medical devices); however, the practice is also instructed by companies in the aviation and manufacturing industries. Practice head and co-chair of the global patent group Markus Gampp is considered an expert for FRAND matters and increasingly advises on patent transfers and licensing, counsel Constanze Krenz focuses on the technology area, Philipp Cepl is particularly active within the telecommunications industry at the interface of connected health and counsel Kokularajah Paheenthararajah primarily handles issues in the life sciences sphere.
‘In addition to extensive litigation-related experience, Markus Gampp is particularly characterized by his pronounced strategic thinking and exceptional industry knowledge. Despite his detailed knowledge, he never loses sight of the “bigger picture” and always consistently aligns his advice with the client’s economic goals.’
‘Under the direction of Dr. Markus Gampp, the German patent practice of DLA Piper has been firmly established in the market for several years. The strong, very dynamic team delivers top quality and works extremely efficiently. They have impressive expertise in both legal and technical terms and therefore very successfully conduct infringement and nullity proceedings from a single source. The team is also exceptionally well connected to the firm’s patent litigation teams in all other countries around the world.’
‘Markus Gampp: His many years of experience in advising clients from the technology sector as well as the automotive industry, combined with his in-depth understanding of antitrust law, make him a proven expert in standard essential patents/ FRAND proceedings. His pragmatic, well thought-out and structured approach and clear, direct communication are also highly valued by clients.’
‘DLA Piper’s patent team is becoming more and more visible in the market. DLA is involved in a large number of important proceedings for well-known clients. The team may be a bit smaller than some other practices, but it still packs a punch.’
‘First-rate team for pharma and life sciences in the combination of Philipp Cepl and Kokularajah Paheenthararajah.’
‘Philipp Cepl is a proven strategist who, due to his extensive litigation experience in court, cannot be surprised. Philipp Cepl works very result-oriented and finds an innovative solution for every process situation. He always has the interests of his clients in mind.’
‘Philipp Cepl: One of the most unpretentious and one of the best patent lawyers in Germany, both in substantive patent law and in procedural law. A very clever strategist who develops efficient procedures and arguments and always has the practical benefit in mind. An excellent choice for companies if they don’t just want to start litigation, but really want to achieve something.’
Harman International Industries, Inc.
- Defending Belkin in SEP litigation asserting multiple patents related to the Qi wireless charging standard.
- Representing Harman as inventor regarding several patents in SEP proceedings IP Bridge against Daimler on telecommunications units (3G/4G) in vehicles.
- Defending Surfly in patent infringement litigation against unblu regarding co-browsing technology.
IP boutique Grünecker houses a broad team of patent lawyers and attorneys-at-law who handle patent disputes before German and European courts and are increasingly active internationally, especially in proceedings in Asia and the US. In addition to contentious issues such as infringement, nullity, opposition and appeal proceedings, the team is also experienced in patent portfolio management. Bernd Allekotte (telecommunications and life sciences patents), Ulrich Blumenröder (IT/mobile communications, medical devices, mechanical engineering, electronics) and Sebastian Ochs, who made partner in January 2022, jointly head the practice; Ochs focuses on advice to the mechanical engineering and electrical engineering sectors and is also well versed in competition law.
‘Long-term cooperation in a very extensive dispute. Very reliable and competent. We appreciate the office very much.’
‘Grünecker is a great law firm and the team not only has legal know-how but also an impressive portfolio of technical expertise.’
‘Bernd Allekotte can manage complex proceedings; persistent and down-to-earth in correspondence and in court. Adept at abstracting complicated concepts and turning them into simple strategies, he has good instincts and sound judgement. The firm also has a strong team of patent attorneys.’
‘Ulrich Blumenröder: Extremely experienced and confident. Together with Mr. Ochs he forms a very good team, with whom we really feel that we are in good hands. Mr. Ochs is a young lawyer who works very dedicatedly and conscientiously.’
‘Ulrich Blumenröder and Sebastian Ochs confidently navigate through infringement and nullity proceedings and combine their expertise with a great understanding of our business model.’
Hytera Communications Corporation Limited
LONGi Solar Technologie GmbH
Rehau AG & Co
Vestel Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret A. S.
- Representing the China-based solar module manufacturer LONGi Group in patent infringement proceedings conducted in several jurisdictions including China, the US, Australia, the Netherlands and Germany.
- Representing Vestel in a series of six disputes in the SEP area with parallel proceedings in the Netherlands and UK.
- Representing Hytera in various wireless communications infringement litigation against Motorola, including parallel litigation in the United States.
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek works for a primarily medium-sized client base, with the team increasingly assisting companies from the mechanical engineering, medical products and automotive sectors. The patent practice is active in Germany and also internationally through various networks and most recently handled a contentious matter on lighting technologies via its India desk. Anton Horn (focus automotive) heads the unit which also includes Sabine Dethof (mechanical engineering and medical devices), senior associate Cécile Corbet (technology and media), who frequently deals with issues related to France, as well as Philipp Schröler, who made salary partner in January 2022 and focuses on the pharmaceutical and life sciences areas.
‘Philipp Schröler: Technical and legal expertise, quick learner and client-oriented. Anton Horn pragmatically seeks the best solution for the client, fast and clear communication and is legally and technically well versed.’
‘Anton Horn has been leading the patent practice very successfully for many years. Clear focus on real patent litigation for the industry. The team also has experience in validity proceedings before the EPO and the Federal Patent Court and also acts in these proceedings without patent lawyers. Very solid practice and experienced team.’
‘Anton Horn: Personally outstanding, professionally very good.’
‘Philipp Schröler: An excellent partner and litigator. Very responsive.’
‘Always well prepared, both before and after court.’
‘Anton Horn: Very flexible in the cooperation and responsive, adapts to the wishes and needs of the client.’
‘The entire cooperation was consistently effective and enjoyable: the work of the lawyers is highly professional. It is characterized by great legal expertise, an above-average understanding of technical contexts and a strong focus on the interests of the client. The way the lawyers work is result-oriented, effective and structured.’
‘Great legal expertise; above-average understanding of technical relationships; orientation towards the interests of the client; result-oriented, effective and structured way of working; prompt response to inquiries; courtesy and collegial appreciation.’
Kienle & Spiess
Hoffmann Eitle's advice is particularly focused on life sciences (including medical devices and pharmaceuticals) as well as automotive, telecommunications and technology and, in addition to expertise in contentious matters, also encompasses know-how on license agreements. Internationally, the practice primarily handles contentious proceedings within Europe but can also show for a particularly strong client portfolio from Japan due to corresponding language skills of several team members. Holger Stratmann, who acts in the electronics and automotive sectors, and Dirk Schüßler-Langeheine, who is particularly well versed in patent infringement disputes against generic drug companies in the pharmaceutical sector, jointly head the practice. Niels Hölder, who is experienced in patent infringement proceedings, often advises pharmaceutical companies.
‘The firm has a strong IP litigation practice and combines litigators and patent lawyers in one team. The expertise in the pharmaceutical sector is first class, which is reflected in pragmatic solutions and advice. Unique focus on the client’s business view, the entity is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Niels Hölder: Very experienced and provides credible arguments even in unforeseen situations. He takes his time with the client.’
‘Mike Gruber: Very good and tech-savvy.’
‘Dirk Schüßler-Langeheine: Super lawyer, very intelligent and pleasant to work with. He speaks at least three languages, including English and Japanese. Complex technical issues are no problem for him and he is a specialist in regulatory issues and the pharmaceutical sector.’
‘Niels Hölder: Excellent; very thorough and he takes his time with the matter. The team is small but powerful and very creative in its argumentation. They also have a good technical understanding and, as a supplement, the expertise of patent lawyers. Good value for money and a pleasure to work with.’
- Representing NuCana against Gilead in infringement proceedings concerning the marketing of drugs containing the active ingredient sofosbuvir.
- Representing Friesland Campina in infringement proceedings against BASF regarding a palm oil-free whipping agent.
- Representing Insulet vs. Medtrum in infringement proceedings regarding a wearable insulin pump.
The dual focus of Jones Day's patent practice is evident in the specializations of its management duo: Gerd Jaekel, who has dual qualifications as a lawyer and graduate physicist, is primarily instructed by companies in the technology sector, while Christian Paul, with his dual qualifications as a lawyer and chemist signs responsible for the pharmaceutical and chemical sector. The combined expertise, as well as its cooperation with the patent lawyer team, is increasingly applied in biotechnology, medical devices and mobile communications-related litigation. In addition to contentious matters, the team also advises on IP portfolio strategies, risk management and know-how protection.
‘Christian Paul: Excellent strategist.’
‘Gerd Jaekel: An excellent IP litigator, technically outstanding and to be recommended at any time in patent matters.’
Akebia Therapeutics, Inc.
BioMarin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
CJ CheilJedang Corp., Südkorea
Lufthansa Technik AG / Astronics, Panasonic und andere
Puma Biotechnology, Inc.
Hope Medical Enterprises, Inc.
Idenix Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Merck & Co., Inc.)
NXP Semiconductors N.V.
Tung Thih Electronic (TTE) Co. Ltd. / Valeo
- Representing CJ CheilJedang Corporation in a patent dispute with a Japanese competitor before the courts in Düsseldorf. The dispute concerns an amino acid and a genetic engineering process for its production. Parallel proceedings are also being conducted in the USA, as well as nullity proceedings before the Federal Court of Justice.
- Representing Puma Biotechnology, Inc. After nearly ten years of opposition and appeal proceedings, obtained the dismissal of opposition to a European patent that comprehensively covers the use of irreversible inhibitors for the treatment of gefitinib/erlotinib-resistant cancers and cancers harboring the T790M EGFR mutation.
- Representing Lufthansa Technik AG on long-haul aircraft technology. After US Discovery, assistance with German proceedings since autumn 2014 in a parallel patent infringement proceeding in Seattle and before the Federal Circuit. Representation against Astronics, Panasonic and other users of the technology in patent infringement proceedings in France and the UK.
KLAKA Rechtsanwälte fields an experienced team that represents its clients before German courts and the Federal Patent Office: in addition to experience in infringement and nullity proceedings, the practice also advises on employee invention law and the drafting of license and development agreements. Recently, the team has been increasingly instructed by players from mobile communications, automotive, chemicals, plastics technology and mechanics sectors. Olaf Giebe (chemicals and pharmaceuticals) heads the practice, which also includes Stefan Eck, who specializes in infringement disputes and vindication proceedings, Wolfgang Götz (telecommunications, automotive and plant engineering) and Constantin Kurtz, who is experienced in defending smartphone manufacturers in SEP cases. Michael Nieder (food and pharmaceutical law) joined Meissner Bolte Patentanwälte Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB in 2022.
‘One of the top law firms for litigation in patent, trade mark and design matters. The team is convincing in every respect, both in enforcing intellectual property rights and in defending against unjustified claims. One of the firm’s strengths lies in the area of standard-essential patents (FRAND) and expertise in patent litigation in mobile communications.’
‘The team is very friendly and competent. Even if a partner cannot be reached immediately, contact is made at short notice. Klaka is a boutique firm with the highest level of expertise in the IP sector. Our number 1 contact for disputes.’
‘Constantin Kurtz and Wolfgang Götz: both specialize in patent litigation (electronics, telecommunications and mechanics). Both lawyers are excellent at recognizing essential aspects of complex patent litigation, developing an appropriate strategy for further action and placing the decisive arguments correctly, both in the pleadings and in the oral hearing.’
‘Stefan Eck understands the technology of a patent case and can therefore work out legal aspects very efficiently and purposefully and bring them closer to the judges. Good external cooperation. He brings things to the (legal) point.’
‘Stefan Eck: One of the most experienced patent lawyers in Germany. Very meticulous detailed work in the preparation of facts and the preparation of pleadings and negotiations, which leads to a very high success rate even in difficult cases.’
AVM Computersysteme Vertriebs GmbH
certoplast Technische Klebebänder GmbH
fischerwerke GmbH & Co. KG
Fränkische Rohrwerke und Fränkische Industrial Pipes
Guangdong OPPO Mobile Telecommunications Corp., Ltd. – OROPE Germany GmbH
Hisense International Co. Ltd. und Hisense Gorenje Germany GmbH
Schütz GmbH & Co. KG aA
Seppi M. AG
SRAM LLC und SRAM Deutschland GmbH
TCT (Teil der chinesischen TCL Gruppe)
Virtual Paper Licensing GmbH
Wiko SAS und Wiko Germany GmbH
WITRON Logistik + Informatik GmbH
Xiaomi Technology Germany GmbH; Xiaomi Technology Netherlands B.V.; Xiaomi Communications Co. Ltd.
ZTE Deutschland GmbH und NXT Netcare Services GmbH
- Representing ZTE Germany GmbH, NXT Netcare Services GmbH, Xiaomi Technology Germany GmbH against WSOU Investments LLC, Texas, USA before the District Court of Munich I. WSOU is a US patent pool claiming a patent in the field of LTE Advanced Carrier Aggregation. The patent in question concerned a method for sharing uplink and downlink capacity between a base station and a mobile phone.
- Defense of Wiko Germany GmbH against 3G Licensing before the OLG Karlsruhe. In this matter, 3G Licensing sued Wiko based on European patent EP 0 960 542, which the plaintiff regards as essential for the LTE standard. In the first instance, the LG largely dismissed the action.
- Advising and representing SRAM LLC and SRAM Deutschland GmbH in numerous infringement and validity proceedings against Shimano, among others. Regarding electronic circuit technologies for which SRAM has several property rights.
Maiwald Intellectual Property operates from its Düsseldorf and Munich locations and places a strong focus on chemistry and life sciences, while the practice is primarily known across the German market for its activities in the pharmaceutical sector; the team further focuses on medical products, engineering and the technology sector. Practice head Marco Stief focuses not only on life sciences-related matters but also on patent disputes in the IT and technology transfer sectors. Annelie Wunsch (biochemistry, biotechnology and pharma) made partner in summer 2021 and Ulrike Herr, who is well-versed in the pharma and chemistry industries, joined the team in January 2022 from Isenbruck Bösl Hörschler LLP. Elke Wurster left the firm at the end of 2021 for a position at TÜV Süd GmbH, while Stephan Schneller entered self-employment shortly before.
University of California
Lindt & Sprüngli Chocoladefabriken GmbH/AG
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
The Noerr team mainly acts from its Munich office and has recently been very visible in the mobile communications sector, with additional advice priorities in the semiconductor and electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology industries; in cooperation with various networks, the group is also well equipped for cross-border patent disputes. Practice head Ralph Nack is experienced in patent infringement, nullity and opposition proceedings at national and international level and is also an expert in the licensing of Standard Essential Patents (SEPs). Armin Kühne complements the team's patent law capacities with expertise in research and development contracts.
‘The practice has a very pragmatic and experienced team of IP litigators with an international focus who are equally committed to customer service and the will to win.’
‘The team consists of great specialists. You feel in good hands as a client. Well organised, proactive and experienced, they avoid possible stumbling blocks – a wonderful team to work with.’
‘Ralph Nack: The first choice for difficult patent cases. Excellent knowledge and experience. He steers safely through the most difficult scenarios, always being well prepared and professional. He’s a lion in court, with him and his team you’re on the winning side.’
‘Ralph Nack: A dynamic and very experienced patent litigator with an international orientation.’
‘Well organised, great advice and quality of service.’
‘Exceptionally professional and great to work with.’
Cambridge Mobile Technology
AIM Sport Vision
Sofar Solar et al.
- Representing Xiaomi in a total of six SEP infringement proceedings against VoiceAge with nullity actions FRAND, AASI and antitrust counterclaim.
- Representing Centripetal Networks in eight infringement actions against Cisco, Palo Alto Networks and Keysight, network security nullity actions.
- Representation of AIM Sport Vision in two infringement proceedings against Supponor, nullity proceedings in the field of virtual overlay (virtual perimeter advertising).
The consulting focus of Preu Bohlig & Partner is based on the four sectors healthcare, automotive, telecommunications as well as heavy and precision mechanics; particularly in the healthcare and automotive spheres, the team recently experienced an increase in instructions, while matters in the latter often pertained to telecommunications and connected cars. The key contacts and respective office managers are the Berlin-based Christian Donle (SEP-related infringement and legal validity proceedings and product piracy), Daniel Hoppe (pharmaceuticals) in Hamburg, Christian Kau (automotive, precision mechanics and medical technology) in Düsseldorf and Ludwig von Zumbusch (employee invention law and license agreement law) in Munich; at the southern German location, Axel Oldekop is also an experienced contact for companies in the automotive, communication and laser electronics sectors. The Paris office is headed by Konstantin Schallmoser, who is increasingly involved in Franco-German matters. Tech specialist Jacob Nüzel joined TWAINSCORE Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB in August 2022.
‘The law firm is characterized by a high level of expertise combined with uncomplicated cooperation. Even with complex problems, the lawyers try to find solutions or suggest interesting solutions.’
‘Christian Kau is characterized by a high level of professional competence and, in particular, by the fact that, as a lawyer, he can understand complex technical matters very well. This makes working with patent attorneys and clients much easier, especially in the patent area.’
‘Strategic case management. Excellent legal expertise.’
‘Christian Donle: Outstanding IP knowledge and experience. Penetrates the most complex legal issues. Excellent strategic case management. It’s better to have him on your own side.’
‘Highest level of competence and maximum efficiency in prosecuting the use of and infringements of property rights; as well as legal support for license negotiations, evaluation of existing and drafting of new license agreements. I regard Preu Bohlig und Partner and in particular Christian Kau as the absolute “premier league in IP”.’
‘Quick and thorough handling; good cooperation, especially high accessibility of lawyers; Good technical understanding, especially when working with patent attorneys and the technical departments.’
‘Very good teamwork and ability to familiarize oneself in detail with complicated issues in technical patent law. Good skills and see the bigger picture.’
‘Axel Oldekop: Confident demeanour, accurate weighing of opportunities and risks, easy accessibility, reliable preparatory work, intuitive recognition of the problem with excellent legal classification of the facts, cooperative partnership, excellent guide through various steps in the process, high level of commitment, honesty.’
4Inno Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
Accord Healthcare GmbH
Actividad Nautica Balear S.L.
BORA Vertriebs GmbH & Co. KG
C.G. Haenel GmbH
Dr.-Ing. Arndt Graeve
Fresenius Medical Care Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG
G & B Fissaggi Srl
GIRARD SUDRON SAS; Girard Sudron GmbH
Hauff-Technik GmbH & Co. KG
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company (HPE)
Hikma Pharma GmbH
James Hardie Europe GmbH (vormals Fermacell)
Molecular Insight Pharmaceuticals (part of Lantheus)
Picote Solutions Oy
STADA Arzneimittel AG
Uhrig Straßen- und Tiefbau GmbH
UNAC HOLDING AG
Ventec Central Europe GmbH
- Representing STADA Arzneimittel AG against Bayer with regard to the market launch of generics for sorafenib both in patent infringement proceedings before the Munich Regional Court and the Munich Higher Regional Court and in patent nullity proceedings before the Federal Patent Court.
- Representing Hikma Pharma GmbH in various proceedings against Eli Lilly and IFA before the district courts and higher regional courts in Munich and Frankfurt in legal disputes regarding the active ingredient pemetrexed.
- Representation of Koenig & Bauer MetalPrint GmbH against Hebenstreit Metal Decorating GmbH in a negative declaratory action brought by Hebenstreit before the District Court of Mannheim.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons has a clear focus on TMT, life sciences and healthcare, with the practice handling purely contentious matters alongside an increasing number of instructions related to standard-essential patents (SEPs) and FRAND licenses. The antitrust law interface is also handled by practice head Peter Meyer, who recently moved from Düsseldorf to Munich, and Thomas Gniadek; he is increasingly called upon by companies in the digital and IT spheres and also experienced in employee invention law.
‘Super attention to detail, the team cares deeply about clients and matters, always puts in a lot of effort to win.’
‘Thomas Gniadek really gives his all in his work. Both the client and the successful conclusion are very important to him. Always responsive and very efficient.’
‘Good writing and a high level of technical understanding; very good availability throughout the process. Pragmatic approach and focused on solutions.’
Achenbach Buschhütten GmbH & Co KG
Formlabs Inc. und Formlabs GmbH
Helios Ventilatoren GmbH & Co. KG
Industex SL, ISL GmbH, MediaShop AG, Bruno Bader GmbH & Co KG
Imperial Tobacco Group (Fontem Ventures)
Kinetics Concepts Inc./ Systagenix
Match Group Inc. et.al.
- Representing Bayer in the enforcement of one of its patents against the market entry of generics for the cancer drug Nexavar in Germany and Europe-wide coordination of corresponding proceedings.
- Defending Xiaomi in a cellular technology patent litigation brought by Sisvel.
- Defending Match Group Inc. and other group companies in a patent litigation brought by Berlin software company Hoccer against dating platform Tinder.
IP boutique Vossius & Partner has a good reputation on the German market and cooperates with a network of other international IP firms in a cross-border context, if necessary; Europe, Asia and North America are particularly important here. The consulting portfolio is mainly geared towards the electronics, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals and life sciences sectors, thus leading to advice on contentious matters pertaining to biotech or e-cigarettes. In addition to nullity and infringement actions, the practice is also well versed in antitrust-related matters such as FRAND and SEPs and also has experience in supplementary protection certificates. Thure Schubert in Munich, who is experienced in employee invention law, heads the team which also includes Georg Andreas Rauh (telecommunications, electronics, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and medical technology) and Christian-Leopold Zapp (engineering, medical technology and life sciences). Key contacts in Düsseldorf are Andreas Kramer and Kai Rüting, who respectively advise on FRAND issues and SEP matters. Zhuomin Wu, who primarily handles bilateral disputes with German and Chinese implications, made partner in 2022.
‘A great hands-on mentality from the team. Available at all times and acting with an excellent understanding of the client’s needs.’
‘We have been working with the team for a number of years and they always deliver first class advice with a strong focus on the client’s business model.’
‘Act proactively, coordinated and strong in collaboration during large, multi-jurisdictional litigation; the responsiveness is exceptional.’
‘We were particularly impressed by their strategic focus and always felt that we were in good hands with Thure Schubert and Christian-Leopold Zapp.’
‘Kai Rüting: Particularly good understanding of the client’s concerns and always available. Knows how to develop fast and practical solutions and to accompany the client through lengthy processes in a special way, also communicatively.’
‘Thure Schubert: The ship’s captain, who does his job very well. He is very experienced and meticulous in his work; acts reassuringly and with great commitment.’
‘Andreas Kramer: Fast, to the point, pleasant to work with, experienced, provides pragmatic advice.’
‘Christian-Leopold Zapp: Extremely reliable, very committed and open to pragmatic solutions. Lawyers often tend to present facts more complex than they are. Mr. Zapp is a laudable exception, he analyzes the facts and presents the problems – weighted according to importance – with solutions.’
Boston Scientific Corporation
British American Tobacco
CJ Cheiljedang Corp.
Eglo Leuchten GmbH
Lenovo Group Ltd.
Online Cleaning Technologies GmbH
Tomra Systems ASA
- Representing Xiaomi against several licensors of the Access Advance HEVC patent pool in complex disputes regarding several standard-essential patents in numerous proceedings before the courts in Düsseldorf and the Federal Patent Court.
- Representing Boston Scientific Corporation (BSC) in global medical device litigation.
- Representing British American Tobacco (BAT) in a global litigation involving e-cigarettes, heat-not-burn products and liquidizers such as IQOS/Heats, ePods, glo/neoSticks.
AMPERSAND Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB. is regularly called upon to assist with patent matters by companies from various technology-based industries such as manufacturing technology, electronics and telecommunications; in the latter the group has also been acting for NPEs. Other mainstays include automotive, pharmaceuticals and textiles, with the majority of clients being German and international medium-sized companies. Practice head and technology specialist Hosea Haag has extensive expertise in patent infringement proceedings on the plaintiff and defendant side. Jonathan Konietz (focus on telecommunications, IT, mechanical engineering, biotechnology, among other matters) made partner in autumn 2022. Philipp Neels departed for Eisenführ Speiser in July 2023.
‘Top-class, unexcited and economically thought-out legal advice.’
‘Very knowledgeable and experienced. Real team players, reliable and responsible.’
‘Very pleasant cooperation, high speed possible, extremely good comprehension and information processing of all team members, clever, open-minded, creative, but always focused on the result to be achieved; In general, the focus is on the result and not on the individual.’
‘Hosea Haag advises meticulously and calmly in highly complex cases.’
‘The team has exceptional technical skills while maintaining a pragmatic and efficient approach.’
‘Quick and practicable development of a law enforcement concept.’
‘Hosea Haag has excellent knowledge of the views of the courts, so that a strategy can be developed in a targeted manner.’
Accord Healthcare Ltd.
Arigna Technology Ltd.
Conversant Wireless Licensing S.à.r.l.
DAF Truck N.V.
DT Swiss AG
Human Care Nederland B.V.
InstrAction Siltectra uVm
INVTE SP GmbH
Ocean Semiconductor LLC
Quiss Qualitäts-Inspektionssysteme und Service GmbH
Schülke & Mayr GmbH
Uniloc Deutschland GmbH
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, Universitätsklinikum Münster
WFI Warmflascheninnovation UG
Withers & Rogers LLP
Wonderland Nurserygoods Co. Ltd.
WSOU Investments LLC
- Representing WSOU Investments LLC in more than 20 patent infringement cases.
- Advised INVTE SP GmbH on seven main matters and three injunction proceedings regarding SEP in a FRAND context.
- Advising Ewikon in patent infringement proceedings.
With a good standing in the German market, Boehmert & Boehmert handles litigious patent matters primarily for medium-sized companies and corporations. The team, comprised of patent lawyers and attorneys-at-law, is jointly led by Carl-Richard Haarmann in Munich, who is experienced in trade mark and patent infringement litigation, and Michael Rüberg, who is primarily active in the technology sector; the latter divides his time between the three locations Düsseldorf, Munich and Paris.
Dark Sky GmbH (ENERTRAG)
Hörmann KG Brockhagen
Gabo Systemtechnik GmbH
Polytech Health GmbH
- Legal representation of University of Heidelberg in a patent vindication proceeding, LG Mannheim and OLG Karlsruhe.
- Legal representation of Gabo Systemtechnik GmbH in patent infringement proceedings against Czech competitor Dura-Line CT, regarding tube bundles for fiber optic laying.
- Legal representation of Swiss Mikron Group in the successful defense of patent infringement proceedings before the Mannheim Regional Court against a German competitor in the field of special tools.
CBH Rechtsanwälte's consulting practice is based on several pillars, which include patent law disputes (including opposition, cancellation and nullity proceedings), employee invention law, contract drafting (in particular license agreements and R&D cooperation) and antitrust- as well as IT-related matters; if necessary, the purely legal team can also cooperate with external patent lawyers. Stephan Gruber, who is experienced in employee invention law, Hannes Jacobsen (antitrust law interface) and Jens Kunzmann, whose focus includes licensing issues, jointly lead the team. Furthermore, Paul Szynka is well versed in nullity and infringement proceedings.
‘The team was very well connected to the internal patent department. Digital tools were also tried out for the collaboration, which will be used regularly in the future.’
‘Practical, actionable advice without too many attorney disclaimers; fair reckoning.’
‘The pronounced specialist knowledge and expertise is unique, not only in terms of the work’s technical aspects, but also in conducting negotiations. Central strengths for us are the individual customer orientation as well as the personal commitment of the team.’
‘Hannes Jacobsen: Always available and gets involved in the settlement of disputes – in our case with the special feature that the dispute was conducted globally and settled in the US in the mediation process. Paul Szynka, who contributed his excellent strategic perspective, especially in nullity proceedings, also contributed to the success. The team benefits enormously from Stephan Gruber’s immense experience.’
‘Extremely well positioned in the field of employee invention law.’
‘Jens Kunzmann: Very experienced and pragmatic within his razor-sharp and lightning-fast analysis and he has a sense of humor!’
‘The law firm is characterized by competence, an ability to react quickly and the presentation of strategic options.’
‘Jens Kunzmann: Outstanding professional competence in the area of invention remuneration, outstanding professional competence. Hannes Jacobsen: Outstanding knowledge of litigation and associated strategic issues. Outstanding personality and high personal commitment as well as outstanding customer orientation.’
Adolf Würth GmbH & Co KG
Fliegl Fahrzeugbau GmbH
Heraeus Deutschland GmbH & Co KG
Heraeus Medical GmbH
Hoyer Handel GmbH
Müller Handel GmbH & Co. KG
Phoenix Contact Gruppe
Schaeffler-Gruppe, insb. Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co KG
Siemens Healthcare GmbH
Wacker Chemie AG
Wacker Biotech GmbH
- Representing Siemens Healthcare GmbH in a comprehensive dispute with a German competitor regarding X-ray C-arms (3D).
- Advising and representing Phoenix Contact GmbH & Co. KG in a series of proceedings submitted brought before the ECJ for a preliminary ruling on the compatibility of German case law practice with the Enforcement Directive.
- Representation of Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG in a comprehensive patent dispute regarding camshaft adjusters and valve technology for motor vehicles.
Under the leadership of technology specialist Markus Deck and Roland Wiring (sector focus life sciences), CMS' team assists with patent disputes at national and international level and also has FRAND expertise, which is increasingly applied in antitrust-related matters for clients from the pharmaceutical, technology and medical technology sectors. Other key contacts are Matthias Eck, who is well versed in patent, trade mark and competition law, and Thomas Hirse (patent and utility model law). Gerd Schoenen (patent and utility model infringement proceedings) joined Kleiner Rechtsanwälte in January 2023.
IP boutique Eisenfuhr Speiser houses a team of lawyers and patent lawyers who have expertise in infringement, nullity and opposition proceedings and represent clients in German and European courts. In addition to patent disputes, the practice is also active in license negotiations. Key contacts are Rainer Böhm (license agreements and antitrust law) in Hamburg and Julian Eberhardt (license disputes) at the Bremen office. Volkmar Henke (patent infringement cases and license agreement law) and Tilman Müller (patent infringement proceedings and parallel nullity proceedings) joined Bardehle Pagenberg in March 2023. Philipp Neels joined from AMPERSAND Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB. in July 2023.
‘The law firm coordinates the cross-border cooperation and, despite the level of technical difficulty, manages to ensure that the client is looked after seamlessly, with good results.’
‘Sönke Scheltz: Very experienced and reliable.’
Access Advance LLC
Dolby International AB
GE Video Compression, LLC
Hoya Surgical Optics GmbH
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG
Sisvel International S.A.
Via Licensing Corporation
- Representing Harting in preliminary proceedings before the ECJ (C-44/21) regarding the requirement for patent injunctions.
- Representing Dolby, Philips, Fraunhofer and NEC as licensors of Via Licensing’s AAC pool: Enforcement of seven audio coding standard essential patents. Opponent: TCL.
- Representing Philips in the infringement dispute over UMTS/LTE technology against Xiaomi.
With a newly opened office in Munich, Finnegan fields a German team led by Jochen Herr, who is qualified as a patent lawyer and European Patent Attorney often acts across borders. The practice has expertise in infringement and legal validity proceedings and further skillfully covers FRAND issues at the antitrust law interface. Sector focuses increasingly emerge in the mechanical engineering, automotive, IT, medicine and electrical engineering as well as the chemical and pharmaceutical industries. Moritz Meckel, who made partner in January 2022, specialises in patents relating to optics and mechanics among others, while counsel Antje Brambrink, who joined from Allen & Overy LLP in July 2022, focuses on the technology, pharmaceutical and biotech sectors.
‘Practice-oriented advice. High professional quality and competence, can be reached at short notice at any time if required, very structured, online inquiries are answered very promptly.’
‘Jochen Herr: Highly competent and extremely committed. The professionalism is also above average compared to other renowned law firms. Moritz Meckel has an in-depth understanding of the technical and legal context.’
‘Very professional, committed, technically excellent, responsive, very pleasant cooperation.’
- Ongoing advice and representation of Becton Dickinson Group in infringement and nullity proceedings.
Gleiss Lutz' litigation practice is dedicated to technical and life sciences industries and thus assists companies from the telecommunications, electronics, pharmaceuticals, chemicals and medical devices sectors, which also corresponds with the focus of practice head Matthias Sonntag. Under his leadership, the team acts in various proceedings before the Federal Patent Court, the Federal Court of Justice and patent authorities. Intersections with its leading in-house antitrust practice come to light within its FRAND expertise, which the group applies in matters relating to the connected car among others. The team demonstrates further competencies in the context of post-M&A advice, in particular with regard to patent license agreements and IP disputes.
‘Matthias Sonntag’s team works great hand-in-hand, at least two team members are deeply involved in the case and can be contacted quickly. Because of this teamwork, a quick response is almost always guaranteed. Working with them is easy and smooth.’
‘Matthias Sonntag and Mischa Krumm both have excellent patent law and, in particular, technical (medical and biological-pharmaceutical) understanding, which makes the collaboration extremely constructive and effective.’
Procter & Gamble
Quantum Technology and Application Consortium (QUTAC)
Robert Bosch GmbH
- Lead advice to Daimler (opposite Nokia) in antitrust proceedings at the EU Commission and on its dispute over FRAND conditions.
- Ongoing patent advice and representation of Procter & Gamble in patent litigation, including pre-launch FTO analysis.
- Defending Supponor and Sportfive in patent litigation against AIM Sports regarding technology for virtual advertising in live sports broadcasts.
The Hengeler Mueller team impresses with its expertise in patent infringement proceedings as well as in the context of FRAND and SEP proceedings, which are handled in cooperation with its antitrust team; here, SEP issues have recently increasingly had technology-based references, while mobile communications, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, automotive, software/IT and mechanical engineering also feature among the group's industry focuses. Practice head Wolfgang Kellenter has extensive experience in patent disputes and often assists with technology-related matters and license agreements.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP provides comprehensive advice on patent infringement proceedings in the life sciences, chemistry, TMT, electronics and mechanics industries. Nullity and infringement proceedings are handled at national and international level, while the team can easily rely on other locations of the law firm. Furthermore, the practice regularly cooperates with their own M&A experts, especially in connection with transactions. Practice head Ina vom Feld is very active in the life sciences sector and, in addition to patent aspects, also covers regulatory and contractual issues.
‘Ina vom Feld: Assertive with extensive legal expertise and excellent technical understanding.’
‘Top law firm for cross-border cases. In addition to the UK, Italy and France, a super strong team in Düsseldorf with Ina vom Feld. Technically at a very high level, the client is offered first-class client management, especially as a managing law firm for complex, multinational, cross-border litigation, particularly in complex pharmaceutical disputes.’
‘Ina vom Feld: Extremely pragmatic and legally at a high level. I would recommend her to everyone, especially in pharmaceutical cases and for supplementary protection certificates.’
‘Ina vom Feld: Her technical expertise and the assembly of an excellent team of patent lawyers for nullity actions are invaluable.’
Contemporary Amperex Technology
- Representing Millennium Pharmaceuticals and Cilag in four claims for damages against generic bortezomib and defending one of the two patents in proceedings before the German Federal Patent Court.
- Defending SD BioSensor in a patent litigation brought by Qiagen regarding a test method for detecting tuberculosis. Participation in nullity proceedings by SD Biosensor against Qiagen patent, under which Qiagen has sued SD Biosensor.
- Representing Thales in patent litigation against a competitor on eSIM technology.
Linklaters is well versed in contentious patent proceedings in the life sciences, technology and semiconductor sectors and coordinates proceedings in Germany and internationally, with offices in the UK, Belgium and France being involved particularly often. The patent litigation team is headed by Julia Schönbohm, who often acts across jurisdictions in the life sciences and technology sectors and who also took over as head of the firm's global TMT and IP practice group in 2022. Atif Bhatti made counsel in May 2022 and focuses on FRAND and SEP issues, while Bolko Ehlgen has extensive healthcare experience.
‘Bolko Ehlgen: The cooperation was extremely efficient, pragmatic and of outstanding quality.’
- Representing ViiV Healthcare (a GSK, Shionogi and Pfizer joint venture) in German proceedings in global patent litigation against Gilead Sciences regarding a class of blockbuster drugs for HIV therapy.
- Representation of Seoul Semiconductor Co., Ltd. in a dispute over the enforcement of a new category of LED patents.
- Defense of Bundesdruckerei in patent infringement proceedings.
IP boutique Meissner Bolte Patentanwälte Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB handles infringement and nullity proceedings and acts on the international stage via various IP networks. The clients, which primarily stem from the mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical and pharmaceutical sectors, are advised by a mixed team of patent lawyers and attorneys-at-law, while the team's expertise in computer-implemented inventions, recently also in connection with the telecommunications sector, is particularly noteworthy. Of counsel Hans-Peter Felgenhauer (mechanics and mechanical engineering) and of counsel Rainer Engels (chemistry, mechanical engineering and electrical engineering) are among the key contacts. Michael Nieder, who is well versed in food and pharmaceutical law, joined the team in 2022 from KLAKA Rechtsanwälte, while former practice head Tobias Wuttke joined Bardehle Pagenberg in January 2023.
Taliens' German patent litigation team operates from Munich and, with offices in Paris and Madrid, can also ensure Europe-wide support for opposition, infringement and nullity proceedings before the European Patent Office, the Federal Patent Court and the Federal Court of Justice. The team demonstrates additional competencies in SEPs and FRAND-related issues, German employee invention law and license agreements. The focus here is particularly on the telecommunications and electronics, mechanical engineering, medical devices and pharmaceuticals sectors; this also corresponds with the sector focuses of practice head Thomas Lynker and key lawyer Peter Koch who is also experienced in the field of consumer goods.
‘Highly professional in technology know-how and legal expertise. Incredibly responsive.’
‘Incredibly professional team, very knowledgeable about our technology and have a great ability to fill in any gaps. Very responsive, good strategic thinking and support in finding a partner.’
‘Thomas Lynker: Very efficient and responsive; takes an analytical and high-level approach to legal and technical issues.’
Venus Medtech (Hangzhou) Inc.
Keystone Heart Ltd
Hoverkey UK Ltd.
Valco Cincinnati Inc.
SWAT Medical AB
ZTE Deutschland GmbH and ZTE Corporation
TCT Mobile Europe SAS und TCT Mobile Germany
Peiker Holding GmbH
Performance in Lighting
ATK Sports s.r.l.
- Representing ZTE Deutschland GmbH and ZTE Corporation in the defense against two patent infringement proceedings brought by Godo Kaisha IP Bridge, each based on two alleged standard-essential patents for the LTE standard.
- Representation of TCT Mobile Europe SAS and TCT Mobile Germany against LG Electronics before the district courts of Mannheim and Düsseldorf (LG) in patent infringement proceedings based on three alleged standard-essential property rights (LTE standard).
- Representing Keystone Heart in patent infringement proceedings before the District Court of Düsseldorf against Protembis GmbH.
Headed by technology specialist Claudia Milbradt, Clifford Chance's team not only advises on patent litigation, but also on R&D and licensing agreements and skillfully covers patent law aspects of M&A matters. The IP practice is increasingly active in the pharmaceutical and chemical sectors, while it also expanded its technical expertise in mobile phone patents with the arrival of new partners Tobias Hessel and Stefan Richter and counsel Thomas Misgaiski from HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER at the turn of the year 2022/23. Counsel Florian Reiling is experienced in drafting contracts in the life sciences industry.
‘A highly competent team with an international network is able to quickly solve a cross-border complex problem in the field of patent law. The team’s efforts made it possible to prevent a case and to achieve the economic and legal goals for us as a client.’
‘Very diverse team that always works very pragmatically and offers practical solutions.’
‘Claudia Milbradt has many years of experience in the field of patent law, knows the current case law, quickly understands the current problem and is immediately able to find solutions that are highly satisfactory for the client.’
Based on its international orientation, IP boutique EIP in Düsseldorf has extensive experience in the coordination and management of patent infringement proceedings. Complex, cross-border proceedings in the electronics industries are the main focus here, with past activities relating to connected cars among other matters. Key contacts include Florian Schmidt-Bogatzky (electronics) and practice head and FRAND expert Christof Höhne.
‘Florian Schmidt-Bogatzky: He is diligent, creative and available at all times, which suits us as US clients very much. He masters new technologies very quickly and can skillfully translate them into lay language.’
‘The law firm is gaining a foothold in the European market. In addition to its powerful UK practice, the German litigation team is now following and competing with the most renowned law firms on the market.’
‘Florian Schmidt-Bogatzky has a very good intuition when it comes to strategic decisions.’
‘Christof Höhne: A FRAND and SEP expert in a class of its own!’
Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1
Conversant Wireless Licensing
- Representing Avago/Broadcom in patent infringement proceedings against Netflix.
- Representing Sonos in patent infringement proceedings against Google.
- Representing IP Bridge in patent infringement proceedings against Huawei, Xiaomi, ZTE.
GvW Graf von Westphalen has significantly expanded its IP practice in recent years: In 2021, the team welcomed practice head Sebastian Heim from ADVANT Beiten as well as Nicolas Dumont from Arnold & Porter. In addition to patent litigation, Heim is also active in employee invention law, while Dumont has expertise in know-how protection. The team acts in opposition, infringement and nullity actions as well as in vindication proceedings at German and international level. Another key contact is Joachim Mulch in Düsseldorf who is well versed in drafting contracts and innovation protection.
‘Manageable, well coordinated, competent team with legal and technical expertise at a very high level. The advice is practical and also suitable for medium-sized companies.’
‘Strong and very well organized patent practice led by Sebastian Heim.’
‘Very reliable in terms of content and dates. Availability is very high, which also concerns timely feedback. Very cooperative interaction, the team listens to what the client brings, strong in analysis.’
‘Sebastian Heim: An outstanding patent lawyer and litigator with a confident appearance. He is technically outstanding and works in an extremely solution-oriented manner with a deep, individual understanding of his client.’
‘Available at any time, otherwise call back as soon as possible. Advanced knowledge. We are very satisfied.’
‘Sebastian Heim characterizes his team through his cooperative and factual manner. Really well versed in law, thorough in his work, a real partner in disputes, pleasant manner, he gets along very well with different characters.’
‘Sebastian Heim: In his personal appearance as well as in written statements, he is always calm, professional and technically very competent, but he brings arguments to the point and exposes improper arguments, even in the case of irrelevant or unappreciative presentations by the other side.’
Allgeier Inovar GmbH
Alnatura Produktions- und Handels GmbH
Consors Finanz BNP Paribas S. A.
Eden Europe s.r.o.
Hörmann KG Brockhagen
REMBE GmbH Safety + Control
Sartorius Stedim Biotech GmbH
Schlenk Metallic Pigments GmbH
Sci-Illustrate Radhika Patnala
SCM Group S.p.A.
Tackenberg Handelsges. mbH
TACO ITALIA S.r.l.
UMAREX GmbH & Co. KG
VEGA Grieshaber KG
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated
voestalpine Böhler Welding Group GmbH
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
ZF Wind Power Antwerpen NV
Ziehm Imaging GmbH
- Representing Eden Europe in a dispute over the permissibility of supplying retail shelving components that are technically and aesthetically identical to a pre-existing shelving system.
- Representing Hörmann KG in several patent infringement, patent nullity and opposition proceedings before the courts in Düsseldorf, Mannheim, Karlsruhe, the BGH as well as the Federal Patent Court and the Boards of Appeal of the EPO as the patent owner for industrial door technologies against the NOVOFERM, Alpha Deuren and Assa Abloy groups, among others.
- Representing Invacare Corporation in four patent infringement proceedings before the District Court of Mannheim and in five nullity proceedings before the Federal Patent Court on stabilization systems for wheelchairs; Representation in opposition appeal proceedings before the Board of Appeal of the EPO against a German competitor’s patent for wheelchair control systems.
Due to its long-standing roots in the German market, Hamburg IP boutique Harmsen Utescher is not only experienced in patent disputes before the German and European courts, but also offers intersectional expertise with regards to brands, designs, data protection and know-how protection. Clients often stem from the cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and food sectors. Karsten Königer, who has dual qualifications as a physicist and lawyer, heads the team.
Klinkert Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB
Klinkert Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB advises clients, most of whom come from the pharmaceutical, fashion, medical technology and cosmetics industries, on contentious patent proceedings, while also cooperating across borders with various law firm networks and external patent lawyers. The team is well versed in trade mark and competition law as well as in media and copyright matters and also has niche expertise in IP issues in the sports sector. Friedrich Klinkert, who handles cross-border matters, and Nora Kessler, who often assists Italian clients, jointly lead the team. Christoph Palzer is responsible for the antitrust interface. Philipp Ess (contentious patent proceedings, unfair competition and licensing law) joined avocado Rechtsanwälte in February 2023.
- Advising and representing Nichia Corp., a leading LED manufacturer and inventor of the white LED, in a patent infringement dispute against HTC (cell phone manufacturer).
Mayer Brown LLP's German IP team primarily represents clients in infringement and nullity proceedings and focuses on the TMT, life sciences and automotive sectors. Embedded in the global network, the group also assists with cross-border disputes and possesses additional expertise at the interfaces to competition law and IT. Technology specialist Ulrich Worm heads the practice and, in addition to litigation, also handles patent licensing and technology transfer agreements. Christoph Crützen is well versed in providing patent law advice during transactions.
Guangdong Alison Hi-Tech Co., Ltd.
Anhui Jinhe Industrial Co. Ltd.
Vitasweet Co. Ltd.
Accell Global B.V.
Maxell, Ltd .
Benteler International AG
- Representing Guangdong Alison Hi-Tech Co., Ltd. against Aspen Aerogels in several patent infringement, opposition and patent nullity proceedings before the District Court of Mannheim, the Federal Patent Court and the European Patent Office.
- Representing Anhui Jinhe Industrial Co.Ltd. and Vitasweet Co.Ltd. against Celanese in patent infringement proceedings before the District Court of Düsseldorf and in opposition proceedings by Jinhe and Vitasweet against the Celanese patent in proceedings before the European Patent Office.
- Representing Maxell Ltd in a patent infringement campaign against devices running the iOS mobile operating system.
McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP focuses its advice on the electronics, chemistry, healthcare and automotive industries, while the practice recently saw an increase in instructions particularly in the last two areas. Here, the practice can also rely on cooperation with other global locations when advising on international issues. Litigator Henrik Holzapfel in Düsseldorf and Boris Uphoff (automotive, electronics and consumer goods) are in charge of the practice; the latter divides his time between Munich and Düsseldorf.
‘The law firm delivers what it promises, including a thorough analysis of the pros and cons. Highly professional expertise and experience in technology IP.’
‘Henrik Holzapfel: Incredibly responsive to our inquiries. He is an experienced IP professional with great knowledge of high tech.’
‘Henrik Holzapfel convinces with outstanding specialist knowledge, creative solutions and a high degree of customer and service orientation.’
Norton Rose Fulbright
Norton Rose Fulbright fields a German team that acts in patent disputes on the plaintiff and defendant side before the Federal Patent Court, the Federal Court of Justice and the European Patent Office, while disputes in an international context are handled in cooperation with other offices of the firm. The practice also has expertise in non-contentious IP issues such as freedom-to-operate opinions, due diligence and patent licensing. Practice head Clemens Rübel specializes in patent infringement and legal validity proceedings in technical areas, in particular electronics and telecommunications.
WaveTouch Denmark A/S
Angelcare Group (einschließlich International Refills Company)
Palo Alto Networks, Inc.
Depo Auto Parts Ltd
- Representing WaveTouch in patent infringement proceedings regarding fingerprint sensors for 5G smartphones against Huawei and Goodix.